Owning a small wood or being able to help look after one well has become an increasingly popular subject. Getting Started in Your Own Wood has all you need to know about the basics. It is written by experts committed to the care and stewardship of woodland resources and provides practical advice and guidance for those coming to woodland management for the first time.
Getting Started in Your Own Wood is an expanded and updated edition of Julian Evans’s hugely successful Badgers, Beeches and Blisters, first published in the UK in 2006 and reprinted four times. Every chapter has been revised, and two new chapters were added by Will Rolls on firewood and tree pests and diseases. This revised and expanded edition includes:
• Owning or caring for a wood
• First steps
• Planting and caring for trees
• Natural regeneration
• Cleaning, pruning, thinning, and felling
• Coppicing and pollarding
• Woodland crafts and products
• Firewood and wood to burn
• Enriching the wood for wildlife
• Keeping your wood safe from pests and diseases
• Advice and where to get help.